Organic Einkorn Wheat Berries
Organic Einkorn Wheat Berries – 5, 10, 20 & 50 lb bags, or 35 lbs in 5 gal bucket
These are whole unmilled organic Einkorn wheat berries sourced from small family farmers in the U.S and Canada.
Einkorn (German for “one-kernel” in reference to its single-grain-per-spikelet trait) is the earliest form of cultivated wheat, dating back about 10,000 years and also allegedly found in the tombs of ancient Egypt. It is unique in flavor, nutritional benefits and genetic makeup. Where modern wheat has 42 chromosomes, Einkorn has only 14.
Some Additional Einkorn Attributes:
- Einkorn is about 50% higher in protein than modern wheat yet its gluten structure makes it tolerable by some people with wheat sensitivities.
- Einkorn has 3 – 4 times more riboflavin (vitamin B2 which stimulates the metabolism and assists in the digestion and absorption of fats, carbohydrates and proteins) than modern wheat
- 3 – 4 times more beta-carotene (an antioxidant that plays an essential role in cell division, reproduction, bone growth, vision, skin health and strengthening the immune system).
- 3-4 times more lutein, an antioxidant and necessary component of normal vision.
- Significantly higher levels of vitamin A than other wheats.
- Einkorn is also a great source of minerals including zinc, manganese, potassium, phosphorus and iron.
Note on grain variations: Einkorn grain (Triticum monococcum) can and does vary in appearance from one crop to another and from one growing region to another. Here is an explanation on why there are Einkorn grain variations.
Some ancient grains, such as einkorn and emmer, grow natively in a hull that does not separate from the kernel during harvest. Dehulling these grains (removing the hull) is done to prepare them for milling into flour used for baking. Dehulling, however, also results in berries that do not sprout as well as they would if they had been left in the hull. While some of our customers have had decent germination success from some of our einkorn, most have not. I do not know why the variation but please don’t buy einkorn or emmer if you need them solely for sprouting.
people are currently looking at this product
Estimated delivery time 7-14 days
Guaranteed Safe Checkout