Bolted Stone Ground Organic Red Fife Wheat Flour
- Regular price
- $64.00 USD
- Regular price
- Sale price
- $64.00 USD
- Unit price
Bolted Stone Ground Organic Red Fife Wheat Flour – 10 and 50 lb bags
About bolted flour: Bolted (or high-extraction) flour is whole grain flour with some percentage of the bran sifted out, which makes it a nice compromise between hearty 100% whole grain and all purpose white flour. It’s ideal for when you want a lighter loaf or dough yet wish to retain the high nutrition found in the germ of the wheat berry.
When you choose organic stone milled grains and bolt them to achieve your desired texture, you have an ideal flour for many applications.
Heirloom Red Fife wheat boasts exceptional flavor and baking properties while remaining un-altered by modern genetic modification. It performs similarly to and can be use in place of modern Hard Red Winter wheat.
Named after David Fife, the seed came from Scotland in 1842 and is believed to be a relative of Halychanka Wheat, a Ukrainian Heritage wheat.
Our Red Fife comes from the Back 40 Organics Ltd., a Century farm in Alberta Canada owned by Bernie and Kary Ehnes, and their children Christopher and Ashton. They farm 2400 acres certified organic since 1990. Their farm is certified organic by GOA and certifications for NOP/GOA, EU 834/2007, COR, and JAS (Japanese certification).
Part of this farm was originally homesteaded by their grandfather in 1911. The seed cleaning facility and main farm are located on the original homestead quarter.
Lately they’ve planted Spring Wheat, Peas, Emmer, Red Fife, and Rye.
Red Fife was grown on this farm back in the earlier years when their grandfather and dad farmed it.
Red Fife has been resurrected by a number of faithful organic heritage wheat farmers mostly in Canada. Red Fife seed is being actively preserved and protected as a Heritage variety. Although it is the foundation of many modern hybrid wheat varieties this wheat has itself not undergone the hybridization of modern wheats. It is thought that mass hybridization of modern wheat has changed the protein structure of wheat leading to the increased cases of gluten sensitivity we see today. Heirloom and Ancient grains, such as Red Fife, Turkey Red, Einkorn, Emmer and others may be more easily digestible and tolerated by those with gluten sensitivities.
The taste of the Red Fife goods are more complex than common Hard Red Wheats and the breads bake up moister, with a cohesive crumb. Especially suited to bread it has a high gluten content that can be used by itself or mixed with low gluten flours (spelt, rye, etc) for excellent results.
Note: Since this flour contains wheat germ and wheat germ is an oil, this flour will not keep for as long as typical commercially milled white flour. Do not purchase more than you expect to consume within a few months. We mill fresh within a couple days of shipping. We recommend keeping your flour in air tight packaging or container and storing in a cool place or preferably the refrigerator or freezer.
Made Sourdough Whole Grain Miche Bread using 62% Red Fife flour. The remaining 38% was using other whole grain non-wheat flours. It was unbelievably delicious and satisfying as toast or sandwiches. Bread from this flour combination didn't cause a problem with my stomach as happens in regular whole wheat breads.